Staying Healthy Through The Winter

Peak Performance ChiropracticUncategorizedStaying Healthy Through The Winter

Dr. Melissa is joining us this week for another great guest blog! Read on as she dives into some of the most important pillars of staying healthy during these cold winter months and always.

It’s that time of year! The time of year that stresses our immune systems the most. But did you know that there isn’t such thing as a “cold and flu season”? It’s true! We tend to get “sick” more during the winter months because we aren’t outside, being active, and soaking up that natural Vitamin D! We also tend to have more stress, eat more sugar, and consume less water. These factors dampen our immune system’s strength, making us more susceptible to infections.

What Can We Do?

I get asked the question all of the time about what we can do to help our bodies, all year long, but especially during the winter months.

fort collins chiropractor

So, here are a few things that I commit to so that my immune system is at its best:

  1. Get adequate sleep. Our bodies do most of its natural healing during sleep – when we go into that rest and digest phase! Adults should be getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night. And children need even more!
  2. Exercise regularly. We should be getting at least 30 minutes of exercise daily. Your exercise should at least be a fast-paced walk. Get that heart rate up a little!
  3. Drink water. We should be getting at least half of our body weight in ounces of water, per day! And no, the water you used to make your coffee or tea doesn’t count. Coffee actually has the opposite affect on our bodies so you should be deducting that amount from your total ounces of water!
  4. Eat a healthy diet. Processed foods play a role in adding stress to our immune system. Eating natural foods will give your body the nutrients that it needs to fight away illness. Just remember that 80/20 rule (eat natural, unprocessed foods at least 80% of the time, and it’s ok if you slip up or have other things the other 20%), and your body will thank you!
  5. Supplement Vitamin D. When we aren’t making out own natural Vitamin D from our exposure to the sun, it is important to make sure we are still getting what our body needs. 5000 IU’s of Vitamin D per day will decrease your chance of getting sick tremendously!
  6. Get regular chiropractic adjustments. Chiropractors are your nerve system doctors. Your nervous system controls all other systems in your body — including the immune system. Remove the stress on your nerve system to help boost everything else!

Does your family have anything else that you love to do to help your body? I would love to hear about it at your next visit!

About Dr. Mel

Dr. Mel is one of the Chiropractors on the team with us at Peak Performance. She is passionate about improving the health of our Fort Collins’ community, one nerve system at a time. She knows the importance of an optimally functioning body; AND that a healthy nerve system is a great place to begin – in adults, kids, and babies alike!

Questions? Give Us A Call!

At Peak Performance, we love helping people reap the benefits of a healthier spine and nerve system. We hope the next person we can help is you! Call us: 970-232-9258

Want to get our blog via email?

Subscribe here!