Some of you know I am gluten free due to a dietary intolerance. I enjoy sharing my knowledge and great “finds” when it comes to living gluten free. So I was stumbling around Pinterest today after getting an email with some recommended recipes in it. I came across a recipe for quick and easy gluten free bread that you can make in the microwave. The best part? Its QUICK and EASY plus you can make one serving at a time!
I’ve copied the recipe here for you, if you want easy access:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- 3 Tablespoons buttermilk – or 3 Tablespoons milk or milk substitute (almond, rice, soy) plus 3/4 tsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour blend OR gluten free baking mix (omit the baking powder)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar (1 tsp honey, agave, molasses or 1 Tablespoon applesauce would also work as a sweetener substitute)
- Combine the wet ingredients first and then incorporate the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a sandwich-shaped storage container (do not put the lid on.)
- Put the container in your microwave and cook for 85 seconds (cooking times may vary).
- Transfer the bread onto a rack to cool completely, then cut into two sandwich slices (or just eat it like it is!)
The only thing I am not sure about: I am not familiar with this bread/sandwich shaped storage container. I am very much opposed to microwaving food in plastic containers in the microwave, because of the potential for toxin leach (BPA etc), so I would need to find out what this is made of. Perhaps a good alternative out there – a small glass baking dish, for example! Anything square, rectangular or even circular would work in my book!
Are you or a loved one gluten free? Try this recipe with me – Let’s see what we think! I can’t wait to try it!
Want to get Dr. Jenn’s blog via email?