If there is one thing I love Pinterest for, is that you can find a recipe (complete with the mouth-watering, hunger-inspiring picture to go with it) for just about anything on there! Need an idea for dinner? Search something you are in the mood for! Want to try a new soup? Browse a friend’s recipe board. A friend introduced me to these great little Energy Bites – so named because they are packed with whole oats, flax, and nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew – use what you like!) to give you a protein powerhouse bout of energy – and directed me to Pinterest to find the recipe. These Energy Bites are one of my favorite quick and easy snacks. They are sweet and chocolate-y enough to be a dessert, but pack plenty of protein to be a mid-afternoon pick me up or post-workout energy fuel up. They stay fresh for a few weeks in your fridge – but I guarantee they won’t last that long!
But I’ll include the recipe for you too:
No Bake Energy Bites:
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark, semi sweet, milk – they are all good … or substitute your favorite alternative, such as carob chips)
- 1 cup toasted coconut (the toasting is optional – just regular shredded coconut from the bag = still great!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter, sunflower butter, cashew butter – ANYTHING works)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (I’ve used instant before because it’s what I had on hand – not quite as good, but I was fine with it)
- 1/3 cup honey (or agave nectar) – I prefer honey
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
Combine above ingredients. Chill for 10-20 minutes in the fridge for easier shaping. Form into 1-inch balls. Try not to eat them all in one sitting 😉
Want to get Dr. Jenn’s blog via email?